Sunday, February 10, 2019

RIP Fernando Clavijo

We'll get to the recap of this weekend's friendly tomorrow, but more important news happened Friday.  Fernando Clavijo, former Rapids manager, former National team player, Hall of Famer, and general all-around all U.S. (and Haiti) soccer guy lost his battle with cancer.  My condolences go out to his friends, family, and anyone who knew him.  He was particularly close with another member of our Rapids family, Marcelo Balboa.

Balboa is a key part of probably my favorite Clavijo memory, their hall of fame induction game.  In August of 2005 Balboa, Clavijo (then head coach of the Rapids), John Harkes (working for DC), and Tab Ramos were added to the Hall of Fame and to celebrate Colorado and DC played a friendly at the HoF.  Balboa and Clavijo suited up for the Rapids while Harkes and Ramos suited up for United.  At some point in the game the Rapids got a PK and Balboa stepped up to take it, but they played the old trick of the kicker timing his kick to push the ball forward just as another player, in this case Clavijo, raced into the box to shoot on goal.  I can't even remember if the shot went in or not, I just remember everyone on the filed having a good laugh over it.

I actually started this blog back as a time when I needed to vent about the Rapids, which was at the time Clavijo was in charge.  I may have disagreed with him often, but I  never doubted his passion for the game and his team.  He may have moved to one of our rivals and stolen our coach, but he will be missed.

No comments: