Friday, July 2, 2021

A Delayed 25th Year Celebration for #25


Sunday night is the annual 4th of July game, but it is also a delayed celebration of the greatest player in club history, Pablo Mastroeni.  After the match, but before the annual firework show, the Rapids will retire Pablo's #25, the only number retired in club history.

Trivia question, one other player has worn #25 for the Rapids, can you name him?

While Pablo's time as coach was not as successful as anyone wanted, therets no questioning his success as a player for this club.  This is an honor well-deserved and I hope the team pulls out all the stops to honor him.

Of course before all that we have a match, and not an easy one at that.  Seattle is in town for the 3rd time in the last 4 Independence Day matches (of course, we didn't have one last season).  We lost the last two 3-1 and 2-1, and we're going to have to play our best to avoid a repeat result.  Seattle has been, hands down, the best team in the league so far.  Kickoff is at 7pm and TV is what it is.

As always this is one home match where I won't be in attendance as I'll be celebrating my 23rd anniversary.  I'm not sure how she's put up with me this long but I'm grateful she has.

Injury Report:

OUT: M Younes Namli

QUESTIONABLE: D Steven Beitashour

Seattle is likely missing a number of notable players, so we're getting them at the right time.  I really hope Fraser returns to the 4-5-1 above.  As I detailed last week the 5-3-2 is a disaster and Seattle will eat us alive if we start that way.  I put Lewis on the wing figuring he'd get one shot before leaving and we could rest the other options before the midweek match against Minnesota.  Likewise Abubakar can be rested as well as we start Wilson and Trusty.

Prediction: 1-1 draw, goal by Bassett.  These are the best two defenses in the West, playing in heat and altitude.  I don't expect a wide-open game.  Honestly a draw feels a little optimistic given how we looked against SKC, but I'm hoping a change back to our more successful formation combined with our 4th of July home advantage is enough to overcome Seattle's quality.  If we start with a 5-3-2 and concede possession to Seattle a 2-0/3-1 loss is not out of the question.

No comments: