Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Monday, October 20, 2014
4 shots on goal, only 1 of which was by the home team. A PK for the only goal of the match. In other words, BORING.
- Can't really complain about the PK. Klute's arm wasn't in an unnatural position but his instinctive reaction was to pull his arm out of the way which had the effect of playing the ball straight up. If he had stayed still it would have been a rough call.
- Watts gets a yellow for dissent after the call, which is stupid enough. The he commits a professional foul getting a justified yellow and ending his season early. Dumb.
- 13 games without a win. That's tied for 9th worse in league history.
- Surprisingly its not even the worst streak this season as San Jose is currently in the middle of a 14 game streak.
- Next week Vancouver will need to match what Portland does to clinch the playoff spot. Our game will kickoff 90 minutes after Portland-Dallas so Vancouver will probably have to start a full strength lineup. Not good odds for breaking the streak.
- Centennial 38's Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the year were named at this game. Player of the Year went to Jose Mari, Defensive Player of the Year to Shane O'Neill (For the record I voted for Deshorn Brown for PotY and Jose Mari for Defensive PotY).
Man of the Match: The fan that bought the banner circling the stadium. Not so much for the message (though its hard to disagree given the current state of the team) but because I never thought I'd see a fan that passionate about the Rapids that they're willing to do something like that.
Friday, October 17, 2014
12 in a row without a win
Normally a MLS Cup 2010 picture would be above, given Dallas as the opponent tomorrow, but the Dirty Dozen was more appropriate. Oscar Pareja makes his first trip back to Colorado after skipping town on us this offseason. Never mind that whole "happy to sign a new contract with the Rapids" or Dan Hunt tampering thing. Game time tomorrow is at 1pm, so the tailgate with a baked potato bar starts at 10am. For those of you who can't, or won't, make it the game is on NBC Sports Network.
OUT: DF Drew Moor (L ACL tear); MF Brian Mullan (L knee injury); DF Thomas Piermayr (L MCl sprain)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Marc Burch (hamstring tightness); MF Kamani Hill (rib contusion); DF Chris Klute (calf tightness)
SUSPENDED AFTER ONE MORE YELLOW: MF Nick LaBrocca
Dallas is down former Rapid Hendrey Thomas and George "Own Goal" John to injury and Moises Hernandez to suspension. Given that we're out of the running and beat up I have no idea who we'll see tomorrow so I'm not even going to try to predict a lineup.
Strategic Consideration: Really?
Prediction: 2-1 loss, goal by Brown. Dallas can clinch 4th with a draw and possibly leapfrog FSL for 3rd with a draw or win if FSL doesn't beat Portland tonight. Meanwhile the Rapids haven't looked like they've had anything to play for since mid-summer and I don't expect that to change.
Monday, October 13, 2014
The Rapids took the lead then mental defensive errors cost them the win. That's a new one. Oh wait, no, that's the same thing we've seen over and over again in this losing streak. Only this time it was against possibly the worst team in the league. I say possibly because a reasonable argument could be made that we're the worst team in the league at this moment.
- Pretty ball movement on the Rapids goal. Eloundou suckered in the Chivas defender and dropped it off to Neeskens at the perfect time.
- And credit to Neeskens for beating Kennedy near post, not many scorers pull that off.
- Gotta love a rookie coming in and on his first touch slaloming through four defenders like they were traffic cones for an easy goal. Or at least I'd love it if he was a Rapid. Here's an idea defense, KNOCK HIM DOWN!
- Of course Zat Knight, tallest guy on the field by a decent margin, experienced EPL defender, gets beat on a header for the winning goal. Nice job.
- Jared Watts is not, not, not a CB. Starting Wynne on the bench so Watts could start was pointless. Well, it got Chivas 3 points.
- Tied and looking for a wining goal we go to Kamani Hill and Edson Buddle while Gabriel Torres and Vicente Sanchez stay on the bench? SMH
- The Rapids need at least 4 points in their last two games to avoid the 2nd worst season in their history (2001 being the worst, which they've already beaten). I don't see them getting it.
- They would need to win their last two games to do better than their 2012 season, currently the 3rd worst in team history. That's clearly not happening.
Man of the Match: Charles Eloundou. He's clearly improving from the beginning of the year, looking up more and not just dribbling close enough to shoot wildly. Given his age I'm still excited about what he could become. Watching Cameroon play Sierra Leone this weekend there's still an opportunity for him to get back in the National Team picture too.
Friday, October 10, 2014
The year is 2014. The place: StubHub Center
Looking at our last 3 games, tomorrow's match against Chivas USA is our most likely opportunity to win a game this season. It is also likely our last game ever against Chivas USA as all signs point to the team being contracted at the end of the season. Game time tomorrow is 8:30pm. Important note, Fleming and 'Celo will have the call on Altitude 2 as the Avs will be on the flagship. Altitude 2 is 105/900 (SD/HD) on Comcast in the Denver area.
OUT: DF Drew Moor (L ACL tear); MF Brian Mullan (L knee injury)
QUESTIONABLE: F Edson Buddle (R Achilles tendinitis); DF Chris Klute (calf tightness)
SUSPENDED AFTER ONE MORE YELLOW: MF Nick LaBrocca; MF Thomas Piermayr (1 good behavior game left)
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO MORE YELLOWS: DF Marc Burch; MF Carlos Alvarez
Jamaica - FW Deshorn Brown
U.S. U-23s - DF Shane O'Neill; MF Marlon Hairston; MF Dillon Serna
Yeah, that's ugly and we'll miss O'Neill next week to as he serves his suspension. Chivas will be missing former Rapids Nathan Sturgis to suspension, Chavez to international absence, and Rivero to injury, along with 3 other injured players. Pablo has talked this week about shaking up the lineup so this is a complete guess:
But really, who knows.
Strategic Consideration: Having a strategic consideration requires having a strategy, something the Rapids have been lacking in recent months.
Prediction: 2-2 draw. Goals by Torres and Powers. Both teams suck and are missing key components. Their defenses have been horrible. This will be ugly soccer with no result.