Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Rapids Unveil Best Home Kit In Years

 


Coloraod dropped their new home kit for 2022 and 2023 today and it looks great.  The classic Rapids burgundy with light blue trim and a sublimated mountain design on the chest.  Some people think that sublimated design should have also been outlined in blue, and I'd love to see how that would turn out, but I think this is a pretty good looking kit without it.  Reportedly it will be paired with light blue shorts and socks.  We'll get our first look at our home CCL match next Wednesday.

That does leave us the question of what jersey we're going to wear on Thursday night in Guatemala.  I thought we'd unveil the new jerseys there, since Comunicaciones wears a primarily white kit as their home kit.  I would expect the Class V road kits wouldn't be enough of a contrast but maybe with the green shorts its good enough.  Or we could be wearing last year's burgundys for that match.

Speaking of last year's kits, looking back at the last few burgundy kits this new one is bay far the best.

2020-2021:


This is pretty plain, being forced into the 25th anniversary template Adidas used for most of the kits in this timeframe

2018-2019:

Can you say "burgundy t-shirt"?  This was very meh.

2016-2017:
This at least had some interesting touches with the white sleeves.  This is the last one I bought, only because I wanted Jermaine Jones to sign it.  Haven't worn it since that 2016 playoff match and Jones' FREE AGENT BABY!!! tweet, but it looks good hanging in my home office.

2014-2015:


That sublimated C from the state flag was a nice look.  I like this year's mountains better but this is in contention.  This year's light blue instead of white is also a better move.

2013:


Still my favorite burgundy jersey.  Putting the season ticket holder names on the kit was a great move by the FO, and they were ahead of the trend when this hit a couple of years later (or the images on the numbers, and other such things).  This has been my goto for home games for 9 seasons now, so much so that I had to buy a second one from a friend because my first one wore out.

2011-2012:

I mean, that's a burgundy kit all right.  Very meh.

2009-2010:

No, that's not the same as the 2010-11 kit.  Those stripes were white, these were light blue.  And the Adidas logo is in a different spot.

2007-2008:

The first burgundy kit.  Looking back that RAPIDS across the front isn't a great look.

So out of the 9 burgundy jerseys I rank this new one 2nd overall.  I'll be getting it.

No comments: