Thursday, December 13, 2012

News & Notes - 12/13/12

Just a couple of notes on the eve of Phase 2 of the Re-entry Draft.

  • Hunter Freeman tweeted that its been good to be back for a year, but there's a new challenge ahead.  I think its safe to say he and the Rapids did not come to an agreement on a new contract and he won't be back next year.
  • Tim Hinchey tweeted that if the paperwork gets done there will be a re-signing and a trade to announce tomorrow.  My guess is that Wynne is the re-signing but the trade is a bigger question mark.  There was a rumor earlier in the week, not even well sourced, that Cummings could be traded to an Eastern team.
  • Shane O'Neill was picked for the U.S. U-20 squad announced today.
With only one player taken in last week's Phase 1 (Santos, by the Fire) I expect to see a number of picks tomorrow.  The Rapids have the most players in the draft (8) and I expect at least a couple to be chosen.  Casey, Freeman, and Smith seem the obvious candidates.  I'm not sure how active the team will be in making choices, I could see somebody like Califf or Keel being chosen.

A couple of good articles on MLSsoccer.com this week.  First a Year in Review, which has links to 3 other good review articles.  Second, a link to a discussion of Mastroeni's role next year, which seems to match how I expected him to be used if he came back.

No comments: