A very 2016 look brought a very 2016 result, a grinder kind of game for the 1-0 win and 3 points to start the season. Last year Colorado opened the season in San Jose and lost by that same scoreline, so we're ahead of last year's pace at this point.
- This was a very 2016 game. The starting 11 was straight out of 2016, the style was 2016, and the result was 2016. But it was 3 points so I'm not going to complain (this week). :D
- That said, there were a few tweaks. Namely that the outside backs (Burch and Miller) were more involved in the attack than last year. I'm not sure Miller particularly added much to the attack though.
- Interesting goal by Badji. After a Doyle shot off the post from a Powers free kick Watts tried(?) to put the ball back on net but ended up popping it straight up. Badji was the first to rise and head it home.
- Powers. is. not. a. #10. He just isn't. Quit putting him in a position he fails at.
- Great to see Dillon Serna back already. He got a deserved ovation from the crowd when he came in.
- We've quietly got quite a youth movement going on. 5 of our starters were recent draftees plus MacMath, Miller, Serna, and Azira. Add in Boateng, Ford, Perez, Hamilton, etc. and this team might be very good in a couple more seasons.
- I'm a little surprised Boateng didn't get any time, just to get his first game out of the way.
- It didn't feel like it but New England actually outshot us by one. I think we were the more dangerous team though.
- Other than on corners. Those were...not good.
- Couldn't ask for a better day for a home opener in March. Of course we'll probably have another Mother's Day blizzard type game to make up for it.
Man of the Match: Axel Sjoberg. I'm not going to disagree with MLS who put him on their Team of the Week today. Any cross that came into the box from NE was cleared by Axel. He completely removed their aerial game.