Thursday, January 10, 2019

Superdraft Tomorrow

Tomorrow is the annual Superdraft which has been less and less meaningful in recent years.  I wrote an article about the Rapids recent draft history for Burgundy Wave earlier this week so I'm not going to spend a ton of time here rehashing the same article.  I'll quote the end of it though as it sums up what I expect to happen tomorrow, with one caveat:
So where does that leave the Rapids this year? We traded the 4th pick in the draft to Dallas as part of the Acosta/Badji trade and got their 15th pick in exchange. I don’t know about you but I’d rather have Acosta and the 15th pick than not have Acosta and hope to find a quality player with the 4thpick. Beyond that, we have the 28th, 42nd, and 76th picks (for now at least). That’s two in the 2ndround and one in the 4th round. Our best-case scenario is probably finding a diamond in the rough like Jackson. We should not expect to pick up an MLS-ready player on Friday.

The caveat that I didn't cover is the possibility of trading up to acquire DU's Andre Shinyashiki, a forward from Brazil.  He played with the Rapids U-23s in the 2017-18 season so presumably the Front Office has a pretty good scouting report on him.  I would not be shocked to see the Rapids move into the top 5 to get him, especially since there are rumors that the Crew are willing to trade their spot for $100K in GAM/TAM.  Some combination of Hairston, draft picks, and $$$ should get the Rapids high enough to get him, if that's what they want.

As much as possible I'll try to update here in real-time during the draft tomorrow, with a full recap tomorrow night.

No comments: