Monday, April 20, 2009

Houston, We Have A Problem

I was going to recap this game like I do every week, even though I wasn't really looking forward to it. Then I read DavidJames recap and he said everything I was going to say, so I'll just give him the hits and wait here until you're done.

Back? OK, some added comments.

My key to the game was the field conditions. They weren't as bad as I feared since apparently the U. of Houston spring football game the day before was called off after 10 minutes due to a waterlogged field. Still the ball did not roll particularly smoothly out there and didn't make life any easier. I can't blame the pitch for the Rapids play though.

Other Observations:
  • We're now on the third straight week of a black hole midfield. The insertion of Terry Cooke near the end gave some shape but too little too late. Was Colin Clark even on the pitch?I understand saying with the hot hand at keeper, and Burpo certainly didn't do anything wrong this game, but I feel like sooner or later he's going to burn us. Better to get Pickens back in ASAP.
  • Palguta has played in two MLS games and been beaten by Schelotto and Ching. Welcome to the big leagues son, learn quickly or get out.
  • Beautiful run by Casey only to be beat a few seconds later by two beautiful saves by Onstad
  • Cummings was somewhat lucky not to see a red when he kicked Onstad. I don't think it was intentional and the ball was there to be played, but it wasn't pretty.
  • Of course that was the most notable thing Cummings did all day.
  • The team wasn't working for each other, outside of Casey. No movement off the ball, and no attempt to pick people out with passes, just crosses to nowhere.
  • At the end of our tough 5 game start to the season we have 4 points from 4 road games and 3 points from 1 home game. That's pretty good, I'd be very happy if we could keep that up. The way we're playing though, I don't see that happening.
Player of the Game: Conor Casey, for the second straight week. His run was 15 seconds of enjoyable soccer in 90 minutes of ugliness.

No comments: