Hat-tip to Malcolm Reynolds/Joss Whedon for the title of this one. I'm not sure anyone saw that result coming. Going into KC with a 4 man bench (4!) and a makeshift backline the Rapids get their first multi-goal output of the season en route to their first road win of 2016.
- That was an ugly 18, well 15, we suited up for the game. An indictment of our roster construction. Leaving 2 roster spots open and missing half a bench, having to play a LB at CB, having to play a RW an RB, so much for having our whole roster at the start of training camp.
- That said, we weren't afraid to take the game to them early. Nobody looked good in the first half but it was the Rapids who were more aggressive.
- neither team got a shot on goal until into the last 5 minutes of the first half where Solignac got one, then got a goal, then Gashi got one. KC had to wait for the second half to get their first.
- Pappa did all the work to set Solignac up on the goal. That makes it 3 assists and a goal for Pappa on the first 4 Rapids goals of the season. Obviously the early leader for team MVP.
- That shouldn't take anything away from a good strike from Solignac though. 2 goals in 2 games!
- The second half decision to park the bus was not a good one. It might have been necessary due to our tired legs but its another example of how we can't defend a one goal lead for long periods of time (nor can most MLS squads).
- Burling, play to the whistle, not to when you think the whistle should blow.
- Also, don't leave Dom Dwyer completely unmarked in the box!
- About two minutes before the sub was made I suggested putting Williams in and pushing Serna forward to a friend I was watching the game with.
- Serna struggled on defense, no surprise since he's never really played RB and is left-footed. He looked great in midfield though. He did more in those ~20 minutes than Badji did all night.
- And of course he took another one of his killer long bombs. The shot itself nearly went in and the rebound fell right to Gashi.
- Who hit a beautiful strike. Many (most?) MLS players wouldn't have gotten that on target or put it close enough to the keeper to make a save. A great way for our DP to finally open his account.
- Also the first goal all season Pappa didn't have a hand in.
- MacMath has the yips. I don't trust him in goal. Sadly I don't trust Froschauer either as a untested rookie. Its going to be a long 10 games before Howard gets here.
- 10 points from the 6 games Jones was under suspension. That's a great start and honestly unexpected. Looking at the schedule to start the season I would have been happy to have 5-6 points.
Man of the Match: Shkelzen Gashi. Really an easy choice. He saves one off the line on one end, scores a great goal on the other. He essentially turned a 2-1 loss into a 2-1 win.