Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Portland & Arsenal Review

Ok, I spent the weekend with my parents and nephews so I didn't see much of either game.  I had the Portland game streaming on my phone behind me, so I was able to pick up the big moments but not the general feel of the match.  Seems that we were our own worst enemy in that one.  Credit to Tommy Smith for owning his own goal the next day.  The PK was unlucky but absolutely the right call, despite some claims to the contrary.  Going in everyone would have been happy with a draw but it seems more like 2 points dropped after the game (much like the 2-2 draw in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago).  That faint playoff hope that some fans had (not me) is gone now.

As for the Arsenal game, there were no surprises.  A bunch of U-23 and reserve players for Arsenal are much better than the Switchbacks and Rapids reserves.  Anyone who was upset about the lineups wasn't paying attention to the scheduling of this match.  This was never going to be more than what we saw on Monday.  I saw we, but I didn't see more than 5 minutes of the match.

At this point there are only two, maybe three interesting questions left to answer this season.  1. Can we beat FSL by 2 goals in a month or so and win the RMC back?  2. Who will be the manager?  Maybe 3. Do we get a permanent deal for Abubakar?  Everything else is just experience for next year.

No comments: