The Rapids dragged their way through the game on Saturday night on Columbus, doing just enough to extend their undefeated streak to seven games. This included maybe the worst half the team has played this season and a number of players looking dead on their feet by the end of the game. Luckily the team has a full week off before heading for Seattle.
From Friday's game preview:
Prediction: 1-1 draw, goal by Kevin Doyle. Columbus is struggling but is rested while the Rapids are flying high but playing their third game this week. I think the teams cancel each other out and the undefeated streak continues but only with a point tonight.
That's pretty much how it went down.
- The first half was ugly soccer circa Rapids 2014-15. Credit to the team in getting out down just one but the fans had some bad flashbacks watching it.
- Gashi hasn't lit up the scoreboard but his set pieces have been excellent this year. The corner to set up Doyle was perfect.
- Williams and Burch looked like they were done about 30 minutes in. Williams in particular kept getting burned by the Crew's speed.
- Most of the rest of the team was out of gas 60 or so minutes in, having just enough to get the tying goal.
- Despite that Pablo made one sub at 79' (Jones for Powers) and was forced into one due to injury at 87'. The third sub was up ready to go in as stoppage time ended.
- Once again Pablo made the correct subs 15-20 minutes late. I understand not wanting to change something that's working but if our top players don't get a little more rotation they're going to run out of gas in August. The players that need it the most (Jones, Gashi, Doyle) aren't going to get to take advantage of the June break as they'll be travelling and playing with their National teams.
- The Bodmer Line continues to set all tie low records, currently at 1.04 pts/game the rest of the season.
- Colorado remains the only team at 2 pts/game in the league, remaining on top of the Supporters Shield standings.
Man of the Match: Micheal Azira. In a game where everyone else looked a step slower he was at 100% and kept the Crew from being too dangerous.